A Brief History of our School and Community
St. Paul’s Community College is situated on Browne’s Road, a stretch of road almost a mile in length, which runs from Tycor Road at the Waterworks to the main Waterford/Cork Road opposite Woodlawn Grove housing estate.
The road derives its name from Paddy Browne, a residential occupier who farmed thirty-one acres in the town land of Lisduggan Big in the 1840’s. The road itself was laid out and constructed in the period 1846-1847 as a famine relief scheme under the Public Works.
Up to 1965 the area around Browne’s Road was all open farmland but rapid development since then has seen it transformed into an urban environment.
On the East side of the road is situated the Lisduggan Shopping Centre. On the West side is situated St. Paul’s Community College which was established in 1976 and moved to its present site in 1978. The Waterford Industrial Estate was opened in July 1967 and the area rapidly progressed with the building of Lisduggan, Larchville and Lismore Park housing estates.
Paddy Browne’s Road was the venue for popular bicycle races which were held here on Sundays in the summertime over a period of several years prior to the outbreak of World War II in 1939. It was usual for over a hundred cyclists to take part in the competition.
The road was also part of the course on which was run the annual 25 mile cycle races sponsored by the Waterford Wheelers Cycling Club in the 1940’s.
For over a hundred years after its completion the roadway was generally referred to as “Paddy Browne’s Long Road”! Now named Browne’s Road on the Ordinance Survey maps, its name its name is still in common usage.
Lisduggan was developed from 1968 to 1970 with the construction of 331 houses. Lismore Park was developed between 1967 and 1969 with 226 houses, Lismore Lawn was built between 1969 and 1972 with 267 houses, Lismore Heights between 1973 and 1974 with 119 houses and Larchville was developed between 1973 and 1974 with 286 houses.
Thanks to “Waterford Streets Past and Present”, a book by Dan Dowling and to Mrs Anne McEneaney, history teacher in St. Paul’s Community College, for compiling the above extract. Further submissions to the school on the area’s local history welcome.